Business Litigation & Real Estate and Land Use | [email protected] | Ext. 217
Joe Strohman’s practice focuses on civil litigation, including real property litigation, business litigation, easement litigation and mechanic’s lien law. He is a past President of the Ventura County Bar Association (2012) and has served three terms on its Board of Directors. For more than 25 years, he has also been the Race Director of the annual Law Day 5K Run, which raises money for the VCBA’s non-profit legal fund.
Joe earned his law degree from Pepperdine University in 1982. After law school, Joe studied in Salzburg, Austria as part of the McGeorge School of Law International Program and later worked for a barrister in London, England under the same program. Before Pepperdine, Joe graduated from the University of Notre Dame with a business finance degree. While at Notre Dame, Joe competed on the track and cross-country teams for four years and lettered for three. Joe grew up in a small Iowa town alongside his sister and five brothers. His early jobs included golf course greenskeeper and milkman.
In 1983, Joe joined the newly-formed Case, Orr & Cunningham as its first associate.
Joe has long been an active member of the Ventura community, including Family to Family (an interdenominational group that feeds the poor), the San Buenaventura Mission, as its Christian Service Committee Chair for more than 20 years, the Rotary Club of Ventura East (President 1997-98) and the Notre Dame Club of Ventura County (President 2009-2011).
Joe continues to run, often during his lunch breaks. He also likes to study history, follow college sports and travel.
- J.D., Pepperdine University, School of Law, 1982
- B.B.A., University of Notre Dame, Finance, 1979
- State Bar of California, 1982
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Real Property: After court trial in Santa Barbara Superior Court, obtained successful decision for clients involving confirmation and division of complex joint real estate residential and ranch interests.
- Real Property: Along with other firm partners, obtained defense verdict following one-month Ventura County Superior court trial and appeal for nationally known title company regarding foreclosure sale issue. The plaintiffs’ demand was in excess of $10 million.
- Business Litigation: Obtained defense verdict in Ventura County Superior Court jury trial regarding grocery store fire and related lease and insurance proceeds. The alleged damages at trial exceeded $1 million.
- Corporate Defense on Defamation Claim: Obtained defense verdict after jury trial in Orange County Superior Court case involving defamation claim against corporation.
- Easement Litigation: Obtained several successful court decisions after trial on easement cases in Ventura County Superior Court resulting in confirmation of clients’ easement rights.
Professional Affiliations and Honors:
- Ventura County Bar Association (President, 2011; Former Board Member)
- Ventura County Barristers (President, 1986)
- Race Director, Law Day 5K
- Family to Family (Group Coordinator)
- San Buenaventura Mission (Christian Service Chair)
- Rotary Club of Ventura East (President, 1997-98)
- Notre Dame Club of Ventura County (President, 2009-11)