Legal needs don’t begin or end at trial. To maximize positive outcomes for their clients, lawyers require a strategic plan for all stages of their clients’ cases. That’s where Ferguson Case Orr Paterson’s Appeals, Writs, and Motions group comes in.
Our attorneys are nationally recognized for appellate expertise they’ve honed over more than 40 years of practice before federal and state courts, including the Supreme Court of the United States and the California Supreme Court. With a statewide reach, we handle criminal and civil appeals and help trial lawyers map strategy and write and oppose motions and writs before, during and after trial.
Keeping a close eye on new legislation and court decisions, our lawyers work with trial attorneys within and outside our firm to take advantage of recent legal developments, and those anticipated to arise over the course of a case. Clients and counsel alike depend on our pre-trial advice to win at trial and avoid having to appeal in the first place, as well as to succeed if cases reach appeal.
Specific services we provide include:
- Evaluating appeals, securing stays, and drafting briefs, petitions for review and petitions for certiorari.
- Preparing writ petitions, including administrative mandate.
- Advising and consulting with trial attorneys, including preparing and opposing summary judgment motions, drafting jury instructions and preserving the record.
- Handling habeas corpus petitions and expungements.
- Moving for new trial, judgment notwithstanding the verdict and attorney fees.